See also

Family of Hartas FOXTON and Gertrude Mary CHEESMAN

Husband: Hartas FOXTON (1889-1943)
Wife: Gertrude Mary CHEESMAN (1890- )

Husband: Hartas FOXTON

Name: Hartas FOXTON
Sex: Male
Name Prefix: Lt. Col.
Name Suffix: M.C., M.B., Ch. B.
Father: John FOXTON (1857-1937)
Mother: Frances Alice SILVANI ( - )
Birth 1889
Title M.C., M.B., Ch. B.
Death 13 Sep 1943 (age 53-54) Mediterranean sea
Died at sea on the Hospital Ship Newfoundland.

Extract from:

Debt of Honour Register
Lieutenant Colonel 50586
Hospital Ship Newfoundland, Royal Army Medical Corps who died on Monday 13 September 1943 .

Additional Information: Son of John and Frances Foxton, of Skirlaugh, Yorkshire; husband of Gertrude M. Foxton, of Uttoxeter, Staffordshire. M.B., Ch.B.
Cemetery: BROOKWOOD MEMORIALSurrey, United Kingdom
Grave or Reference Panel Number: Panel 18. Column 1.
Location: The Brookwood Memorial stands within Brookwood Military Cemetery. Brookwood is 30 miles from London (M3 to Bagshot and then A322). The Memorial commemorates over 3,000 men and women of the land forces who, during the Second World War, died at sea, in the campaign in Norway in 1940, as members of raiding parties that set out from the United Kingdom, or as special agents or workers with Allied underground movements, and who have no known grave. The Memorial is made of Portland stone and the names of those commemorated are carved on panels of green slate. A separate panel commemorates the loss at sea of 639 members of the African Pioneer Corps, whose names are recorded individually on memorials in their home countries of Lesotho and Botswana. The general inscription on the Brookwood Memorial reads: 1939-1945 THIS MEMORIAL BEARS THE NAMES OF THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED MEN AND WOMEN OF THE FORCES OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AND EMPIRE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY AND IN MANY FOREIGN LANDS IN HOME AND DISTANT WATERS IN THE CAMPAIGN OF 1940 IN NORWAY AND IN LATER RAIDS ON THE COAST OF EUROPE AND TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED A KNOWN AND HONOURED GRAVE. Above the general inscription on the inside of the parapet are carved the words: THE ETERNAL GOD IS THY REFUGE AND UNDERNEATH ARE THE EVERLASTING ARMS

Extract from:

Medical Support in the Conquest of Southern Italy
Salerno Beachhead
The Salerno landings took place as planned on the early morning of 9 September 1943

Evacuation from the front was following a normal pattern by D plus 2, although lengthening lines continued to be under intermittent fire. Even the beach installations were not secure as enemy planes were still in the air. One German plane was shot down and exploded a hundred yards from the clearing station of the 120th Medical Battalion. "Patients carried in but a few hours before," observed the battalion historian, "displayed unusual agility in jumping from operating tables into foxholes."12

Only 128 casualties were evacuated seaward on D plus 2 because of a shortage of small craft, which were being used to unload ammunition, and there was no evacuation at all on D plus 3, 12 September. The hospital ship Newfoundland stood offshore until dusk but was ordered to move fifty miles out to sea for the night, so that her lights would not guide enemy planes to the transport area. She was bombed and sunk before she could return the next morning. Evacuation by hospital ship actually began on 13 September, D plus 4; air evacuation started four days later.

Facilities for holding casualties ashore were still inadequate, despite careful planning to avoid just such a contingency.13 Personnel of the 95th and 16th Evacuation Hospitals had landed about noon on D-day, but their equipment was scattered and suitable sites were not yet available. The 95th had 250 of its 400 beds ready for occupancy by 0600 on 12 September. The larger 16th was not able to get into operation until midnight 14-15 September. Both units were in the vicinity of Paestum. The nurses of both hospitals had been aboard the Newfoundland when that vessel was bombed. Some suffered minor injuries, and all lost personal belongings. The nurses were carried back to Africa by rescuing ships and did not rejoin their units until 25 September.

Military 1943 (age 53-54) Royal Army Medical Corps

Wife: Gertrude Mary CHEESMAN

Name: Gertrude Mary CHEESMAN
Sex: Female
Father: William Norwood CHEESMAN (1847-1925)
Mother: Margaret Ellen BURTON (1858-1963)
Birth 21 Apr 1890
Death Uttoxeter

Note on Husband: Hartas FOXTON